Print Header
Home  |  Sitemap  |  Search  
Stratford Board of Education
District ProfileBoard of Education (2013 - 2015)District ProgramsSchoolsParent ResourcesCalendarsNews & Public RelationsEmployment
top
top
Board of Education (2013 - 2015):
top
History of the Stratford Schools
Board Members
Board of Education Meetings (Rules and Information)
Board of Education Agendas, Minutes, and Videos
Budget Information
Athletic Programs Review/Planning Committee
Chairmen's Sub-Committee
Communications Sub-Committee
Curriculum Sub-Committee
Finance Sub-Committee
Financial Review Sub-Committee
Long Range Facilities Planning Committee
Other Standing Committees
Personnel Sub-Committee
School Plant/Planning Sub-Committee
Board of Education Standing Committee Meeting Dates
Stratford Board of Education Organization Chart
Board of Education: Powers & Duties
Board of Education News
top
Stratford Public Schools
1000 East Broadway
Stratford, CT 06615
Directions/Map arrow

tel: 203.385.4210
fax: 203.381.2012

bottom

History of the Stratford Schools

 

Timeline of the History of the Stratford School System

(Taken from In Pursuit of Paradise by Lewis G. Knapp)

 
  • 1670: Townsmen (selectman) were instructed to determine if there was a sufficient need to hire a school master.

  • October 31, 1687: The town meeting voted to use the income from the town land at the ferry to support public schools.  The first schoolhouse had been built (date unknown) at Sandy Hollow across from the town meeting house.

  • 1705: The town freemen elected a committee "for ye management of a school of Schools in Stratford as ye necessity of the town requires for the education of children to read & write as ye law requires and to covenant with some suitable person or persons for that and to tend said school or schools the major part of said committee to rule."

  • 1717: Farmers too far from the existing schools "shall have the use of their part of the 40 shillings pr. Thousand allowed by law seven years ensuing, provided they educate their children according to the law." The school tax mill rate figures out to two mills.

  • 1740: The Ecclesiastical Society named four schools: South End, North End, Oronoke & Putnee, and Pembrook.

  • 1806: Stratford Academy, located on Academy Hill, is charted by the state, with leading townsmen as its trustees.

  • 1818: Under new state constitution the town became obligated to operate the schools.  Prior to this (from 1734), the Congregational Church and other ecclesiastical society were allowed to have their own schools in Stratford.

  • 1824: The town map shows the following schools: New North on Paradise Green, South Middle on the common at Academy Hill, and Harvey's Farm School on East Main Street.  Union school later stood on the site of the town hall, and Oronoque was built in 1844. Pembroke and Newfield schools were handed off to the new town of Bridgeport.

  • 1835: Old School school (School District #1) is listed as having 55 families and a total of 120 students.  It is suspected that the school operated on a staggered schedule with girls and young boys attending in the summer and boys old enough for farm work attending in the winter.

  • 1837: Elizabeth Curtis, a teacher at Old South School, was paid $48 for instructing for 24 weeks.  Ten year;s later James Curtis received $54 for 24 weeks, and a decade after that S. Curtis, Jr. earned a full $105 for teaching only three months. During the time period the curriculum is composed of reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic, oratory, history and geography. 

  • 1856: Prior to 1856 there were ten school districts in the town.  From 1857 the town had seven school districts each with an overcrowded one-room school house.

  • 1871: A movement began to combine five districts into one. 

  • 1873: A resolution is adopted: "Resolved. That the School Districts of the Town of Stratford be known as the 'Old South,' 'South Middle,' 'Old North,' 'Union,' and 'New North' School District, be united and consolidated... as one undivided District for all School purposes." 

  • 1885: The eight-room Stratford Graded School opened. The school was located where East Broadway meets Main Street. The Graded School packed eight grades into seven rooms, and the high school occupied the eighth. The Center Graded School became a unifying force in town.  The growing student population required the addition of another room by 1893 and in 1989 the town leased a story on Main Street for an annex. 

  • 1897: The school board authorized another school to be built on North Avenue and named it for George Washington. 

  • 1909: The Center Graded School expands by four more rooms. 

  • 1910: Franklin Elementary School is built.  

  • 1913: The new school on Huntington Road is named for inventor Eli Whitney. 

  • 1917: Sedgewick Elementary School is replaced by the newly built Honeyspot Elementary School. 

  • 1921: The original Center School building burns down. It is later rebuilt. 

  • 1925: A new building to house Stratford High School is built. 

  • 1929: The town committee releases a report that "the number of children in public schools suffering from malnutrition should be of concern to the entire community." The town considered providing school children with milk and crackers to help combat this direct effect of the Depression.  Teachers are ordered to advise which students need shoes so that the town can provide them. 

  • 1931: Birdseye Elementary School is built. 

  • 1934: The Board of Education is able to give pay raises to teachers making less than $1,400 a year. 

  • 1937: The Putney School project receives WPA approval.  The Board of Education discussed dismissing married teachers whose husbands had jobs in industry in order to open up jobs for single Stratford girls. 

  • 1941: There are 14 schools in town with 148 classrooms.   

  • 1950: Stratford High receives a new gym and a music room.  

  • 1951: Ground is broken for Wooster Junior High School and Johnson Junior High School. 

  • 1953: A town-council appointed school board is replaced by an elected Board of Education by a vote of 603 to 142.  

  • 1954: Second Hill Lane Grammar School opens. 

  • 1957: Great Neck Grammar School is dedicated.  The school closes 20 years later. 

  • 1961: Bunnell High School is opened on Connors Lane. 

  • 1964: A new addition is added to Stratford High School including an auditorium, 14 classrooms, and a cafeteria. 

  • 1965: The cost to educate one child in Stratford is listed at $512. By 1989 the cost was estimated at $6000. Today the cost is $9373. 

  • 1966: A new Honeyspot Grammar School opens. The old Honeyspot school building is sold to Howard Johnson's. 

  • 1970: The former Putney school building is closed after the Superintendent of Schools office moved to the old Consolidated/Center School building. 

  • 1970: The new Center Elementary School opens. 

  • 1971: Harry B. Flood Middle School on Chapel Street opens.

  • 2005 Center Elementary School closes.

Print Print

© 2008-2014 All rights reserved. Stratford Board of Education.
bottom
Web Solutions Connecticut CT Design & Development Company