Meeting Rules and Information
During the pandemic, as meetings are held virtually, we are providing an opportunity for public speakers to be heard.
Regular meetings of the Board of Education are held on the fourth Monday of each month with a start time of 7:15 PM. The meetings are held in the Board of Education conference / meeting room at the Administration Center Building located at 1000 East Broadway in Stratford CT (06615), or at a school designated at the time announcement is made prior to the meeting. All regular and special meetings of the Board will be open to the public. However, it is important to keep in mind, Board meetings are meetings held to conduct business. They are held "in public" but they are not meetings "for the public". Meetings are closed to the public only for Executive Sessions. The purpose of Executive Session is to discuss matters that are and should be confidential by their very nature. All action, however, is to be taken in public session.
Public Participation at Board of Education Meetings
- A period shall be reserved at every regular meeting (during the public participation of the meeting) for public comment.
- Any person who wishes to address the Board and Administration shall sign a Public Speaking Form available in the Board meeting room before the start of the meeting (and online); each person shall indicate his/her name, address and subject on which they wish to speak. Speakers will be called upon by the Chairperson during the Public Participation segment of the meeting.
- No more than three (3)minutes is allotted to each speaker; however, once everyone has spoken, a citizen may be given the opportunity to speak again, at the discretion of the Board Chair.
- Comments and questions at a regular meeting may deal with any topic related to the Board's conduct of the schools. There is no Public Participation segment at a special meeting unless the meeting has a section for Public Forum.
- Whenever a question(s) is directed to the Board as a whole, it shall be at the discretion of the Chair whether or not the Chairperson shall respond on behalf of the Board, or whether it is to be referred to the school administration. Such response shall be made in writing prior to the next scheduled meeting.
- The Board vests in its Chairperson the authority to terminate the remarks of any individual when they do not adhere to the rules established above. Whenever persons in attendance at a public meeting disrupt a meeting and order cannot be restored by the removal of those individuals causing the disruption, members of the Board may order the room cleared of all those in attendance. Authorized members of the press or news media who are not participating in the disturbance shall be allowed to remain. Once the room has been cleared, the meeting may continue but only items on the agenda may be considered. Persons appearing before the Board are reminded, as a point of information, that members of the Board are without authority to act independently as individuals in official matters. Thus, questions may be directed to individual Board Members, but answers must be deferred pending consideration of the full Board.