- Begin establishing open communication with your teen early. Don't wait until there is a problem.
- Be specific. Set rules, be consistent, and be loving.
- Be frank. Have open and honest communication with you teen.
- Establish the limits and rules and stick to them. Kids want limits and need to know what they are.
- Know your teen's friends and friends' parents.
- Talk to your child about peer pressure and making good choices.
- Assure your teen that you love them. Also remember to set a good example. You are the role model for your child.
- Be sure to utilize your school's resources: Parent Portal, School Counselor, and Teachers.