Health & Physical Education
August 17, 2023
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year at Bunnell High School! This opening newsletter provides you with important policies and expectations that will guide our work at Bunnell and support your child’s success. Please take some time to review the entire newsletter and attached documents, and speak with your child in preparation for the start of the year on Thursday, August 31st. Conversation with your child prior to the start of the new year will support a smooth transition to school this fall.
At Bunnell, we pride ourselves on the traditions, shared values, and sense of community, all of which contribute to strengthening our school. As we open our doors this school year, please encourage your child to become more involved in extracurricular activities, clubs, the arts, and/or athletics. More information about what Bunnell has to offer can be found on our website https://www.stratfordk12.org/o/bhs. Our website is updated regularly and contains important news, updates, and general information pertaining to the overall operations of our school.
One way that you can support our vision is by becoming an active member of our school community. PTSA, Bulldog Club, Post Prom, and the Band Parent Association are just a few simple ways that you can stay connected, thus enhancing your child’s high school experience. You will be hearing more about these organizations this fall.
This year, Bunnell High School will continue to prioritize a commitment to high standards of academic excellence, ensuring that all students have access to high quality, meaningful, and rigorous instruction, while meeting the needs of the whole child. We will remain committed to supporting the diverse needs of students with equity, inclusivity, and social emotional learning as fundamental to a safe, caring, and welcoming school climate.
Last year, several of our programs and staff members received prestigious recognitions at the local, state, and national levels.
● Mr. Jim Miller, BHS Music Teacher and Band Director, was named Stratford’s 2023 Teacher of the Year.
● The BHS DECA club was recognized as a National Chapter Campaign Winner under the leadership of Mrs. Chelsea Maza, BHS Business Teacher.
● The College Board recognized Bunnell as the recipient of the AP Computer Science Female Diversity Award under the leadership of BHS CTE Teacher, Mr. Lou Spetrino. Bunnell was also one of only 8 schools statewide to be recognized by the CSDE and Expanding Computing Education Pathways Alliance non-profit organization for our diverse AP Computer Science Program.
● Ms. Kristen Record, BHS Physics Teacher, was one of five teachers nationwide to be inducted into the National Teachers Hall of Fame.
● Bunnell’s Men of Color Student Leadership group was awarded the CAS CIAC 2023 Endowment & Flanagan Grant under the leadership of BHS Assistant Principal, Mr. John Ramos II.
As you can see, we have much to celebrate at Bunnell! These highlights acknowledge the outstanding work and commitment to professional excellence by members of our faculty, as well as the dedication and drive of our students. We look forward to expanding upon these accomplishments in the forthcoming school year.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me via phone or email if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to seeing you on Thursday, September 28th for our Open House.
With Bulldog Pride,
Katie Graf, Ed.D.